Is it almost Christmas again? Just take a stroll through your local craft store and even though it is nearly Halloween you will see that Christmas stuff is already out on the shelves. So not ready yet! (I’m no Grinch, but Christmas is busy and expensive and can’t it just stay summer?) But seeing all that Christmas stuff reminded me that I have lots of good experience with…buying Christmas gifts! It made me think of a great topic to write about on my blog.
I have been buying some great family games for many years now. In fact, we have quite a nice collection now. (Another topic for me here is storing all these awesome games, but we’ll go there later.) It’s actually kind of funny that I am writing a post about board games, because in my family I am the one that usually loses interest in games about half way through the game! (I’m a mom ok, yawn!) The rest of the family is really into games though, and here are some of our favorites. Are there any other good ones I should include here on my list? Please comment below.
Below you will find Amazon affiliate links to these game ideas. If you purchase these games I will make a small commission but this will in no way effect your cost. I will only recommend games I own and have in my own game closet that are fun! My favorite is Ticket to Ride. I’m so glad a friend told me about it.
- Apples to Apples – Game of hilarious comparisons.
- Battleship (Electronic) – Guess your opponent’s location and sink his battleships.
- Catch Phrase – Help your friends guess a word or phrase before the timer runs down.
- Head’s Up – Guess the word on the card on your own head with clues from your friends.
- Life – Travel through life, with all the ups and downs of life’s decisions at the whim of a card.
- Monopoly (with the app as banker!) Buy and trade your property on way to financial freedom or bankruptcy.
- Pie Face – Spin the spinner, you never know when you’ll get a scoop of whipped cream launched in your face.
- Risk – strategy board game of diplomacy, conflict and conquest.
- Sorry – similar to Parcheesi – Get all of your pawns across the board into the Home space first!
- Stratomatic – Baseball fans will love this one! Make strategic and personnel choices about the baseball team you draft.
- Ticket to Ride – Players collect and play matching train cards to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America.
- Twister – You will get tied up in knots trying to play this one. Put your hands and feet where the spinner tells you and try not to fall down on your friends.
- Wits and Wagers Family – Place bets on trivia question answers and see who is the closest.
- Yahtzee – An oldie but goody from back in the 1940s. – Score points by rolling five dice to make certain combinations.
- Zingo – I still remember my kids little voices as we played this one a million times. Sooo great for littles. Encourages kids and early readers alike to match pictures and words to their challenge cards.
Hi, I’m Jessica. My blog Sweet & Spicy Essentials is all about things I’m doing to make myself a happier, healthier more focused Mom. Whether you’re searching for good tips on starting your own blog, running your household, getting organized or just trying to get in some “me” time, I’m right there too and I’m keepin it real.